Update to myReef and firmware???

This is the new forum for the release version of myReef. We have NOT deleted the posts from the beta forum we've moved to an internal section so we can continue to review them as necessary.
DaveMorris
How many years have you been in the hobby?: 12

Update to myReef and firmware???

Postby DaveMorris » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:20 pm

Are we ever going to see an update to myReef and the system firmware that will actually work 100%? In myReef the CONTROLLER function can not have the hysteresis set. It is greyed out. I have no way to set up a channel as a heater with more than .1 for hysteresis which is far too narrow. The TM4 module is not compatible with the NET module. There are more if you actually read through some of the threads. For the love of Pete will somebody please do something about this?
Dave
My tank: http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/showthread.php?103096-My-300g-to-120g-Upgrade

DA_Eric
How many years have you been in the hobby?: 20

Re: Update to myReef and firmware???

Postby DA_Eric » Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:57 am

We are working on a major update. As far as the Heater, set it up as a controller instead of a heater and then you have the ability to change the settings.

DaveMorris

Postby DaveMorris » Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:58 pm

DA_Eric wrote:We are working on a major update. As far as the Heater, set it up as a controller instead of a heater and then you have the ability to change the settings.

I would love to. However, as I mentioned in my post above, CONTROLLER function has problems. The hysteresis setting is greyed out in myReef and you can't change it from .1 degree. Hopefully this new major update will take care of the many issues. Oh and will it work with the original v1 version head unit when/if it does get released? There are many of us that still use the CapSense enabled original head units and I would prefer that my display doesn't turn upside down.
Dave
My tank: http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/showthread.php?103096-My-300g-to-120g-Upgrade

DaveMorris

Postby DaveMorris » Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:11 pm

Any response on this?
Dave

Hawaiifavo
How many years have you been in the hobby?: 0

Postby Hawaiifavo » Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:49 pm

Dave - I had the exact same problem a day or two ago. I'm at the end of my tether with this controller. The fact that it doesn't have a MAC/osx solution amazes me and no cloud based control-ability either were already a problem for me earlier on. I have had issue after issue with this controller and I am ready to throw it out the window.

The issue that we share(d) now magically works. I do not know what changed so I unfortunately I cannot offer any words of wisdom in that respect. I left it for a day, had another crack at it and that was it.

I just wanted to let you know you're not alone in your frustration and I'm getting pretty close to making the move to the Apex (as are a lot people who have not already done so). I will give it another month or two to see if the "major update" offers what one would expect with anything labelled as major as I am in no rush but even then I I'm confident that the jump will be made. I don't think a major update alone will convince me to stick it out - it would have to be ground breaking.

Good luck!

jeffreef

Postby jeffreef » Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:00 pm

This is an old thread and I didn't see the problem resolved.

I have been having the same issue (myReef 2.0.78 and also in myReef 2.0.82) with the hysteresis input box greyed out. I desperately want to set a hysteresis value. I'm shocked this rather big problem has not been fixed in .........years?

Do others know something I don't? Please share!

n2585722
How many years have you been in the hobby?: 30

Postby n2585722 » Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:34 am

Have you tried using the keypad on the controller to set it?
thanks,
Danny

DA_Eric
How many years have you been in the hobby?: 20

Postby DA_Eric » Tue Sep 13, 2016 3:18 pm

jeffreef wrote:This is an old thread and I didn't see the problem resolved.

I have been having the same issue (myReef 2.0.78 and also in myReef 2.0.82) with the hysteresis input box greyed out. I desperately want to set a hysteresis value. I'm shocked this rather big problem has not been fixed in .........years?

Do others know something I don't? Please share!

Set the output as a controller instead of function (heater,chiller, etc). You will need to save it, then go back in and the hysteresis will be available.

jeffreef

Postby jeffreef » Mon May 15, 2017 9:04 pm

And I STILL cannot set hysteresis for either "Heater" or "Controller" in myReef. I supposedly have the latest version of myReef (2.0.83 May 2017) and my SID is supposedly v. 2.09. etc.

What's funny is I seem to remember setting my hysteresis using myReef at some point a long time ago. Did they remove the ability????

Is it because I'm using a Reefkeeper Lite (RKL) and not Reefkeeper Elite? I almost did the upgrade a while ago, but other unplanned expenses shut down that idea.

In general, myReef remains rather clunky software and I seem to have finicky issues with my ReefKeeper Lite. Now recently, when I insert the SID into my computer, it says its the wrong version for myReef (and prompts an update) and I update it from v 00.00 to v 2.09. My problem with setting hysteresis predated this new quirk, so its simply a new "feature" of the Reefkeeper system.

In all honesty, does a controller system need a delicate SID module as part of the system? Its funkiness like this that makes me think its time to get an Apex. I find it distasteful to be suggested the new Archon system when the ReefKeeper should have been functional. And I didn't notice any upgrade paths offered to us suckers. (the RKE upgrade offer has long passed)

So, I'm not very happy. And to think I went out and bought all those PC4s, modules and probes and such. But if I can't easily interface with my controller and actually set a hysteresis that keeps my heaters and chiller from killing themselves, well....frustrating.

So I ask one more time. Anyone have success setting hysteresis with RKL and myReef? Please show me. If its easy and obvious I suspect I have broken/malfunctioning kit? That would be more frustration if I wanted to sell off the DA stuff to help offset the cost of an Apex. I wonder if there's good diagnostics to pin down which modules are good? No reason to expect any of them to be bad, but behaviour has me guessing. However, except for the hyteresis difficulty, I seem to have found a way to get everything set up and running as expected. Mostly up against the limitations of RKL vs. RKE, but the lack of hysteresis is just hard on the heaters/chiller.

Wish us all luck!

n2585722

Re: Update to myReef and firmware??

Postby n2585722 » Tue May 16, 2017 6:27 am

I don't think the heater function has a hysteresis adjustement on the RKL. Will it let you set it from the head unit? As far as the other quirk I alway had that happen from time to time when hooking up the SID. I have upgraded from the RKE to the Archon head unit and no longer use myReef. The Archon is completely web based and does not require a app to connect.
thanks,
Danny

danmgray

Postby danmgray » Tue May 16, 2017 7:50 am

I thought I used the controller function to adjust the hysteresis...maybe I set it from the RKE head unit? I'm not at home right now, so I can't check. It seems to me that I've used the controller functions to control a heater and a pump/relay for cooling (via circulation through heat exchanger and geothermal well). I have both RKE and RKL...I'll have to check both to see how I did it and if it can be done from the RKL.

n2585722

Postby n2585722 » Tue May 16, 2017 8:43 am

The RKE is different. I think on the RKL it is preset to .1 for hysteresis. The controller function should let you set it though. The heater function is just a trimmed down version of controller to make it eaiser to someone just starting with controllers. A lot is preset for you on the heater function that all has to be set on the controller function.
thanks,
Danny

jeffreef

Postby jeffreef » Tue May 16, 2017 1:02 pm

Thanks for replies.

I cannot set hysteresis with myReef for the Heater or Controller function. In both cases, the hysteresis box is greyed out and I cannot set it. Let's say for a moment, that you can't set hysteresis for the Heater function because that was intentional (DA disabled this in the software). Why bother showing me a greyed out box?

But....I cannot set hysteresis with myReef for the Controller function either. The hysteresis setting box is greyed out and I cannot change values. Again, why show me the greyed out box (and value)?

I have not (yet) attempted to set the temperature and hysteresis directly on the head unit. Its a bit of a pain and is the reason why I attempt to use the myReef software in the first place. Isn't that the whole idea? What's more, I just know I used myReef to set a hysteresis value at some point in time. It would have been perhaps 2 years ago? Although I shouldn't have to, and it hints at something broken, I suppose I will attempt setting hysteresis on the head unit, but ........

......But, upon watching my system, I think that hysteresis simply doesn't work on my unit at all. That would explain why my heater/chiller units keep turning on/off right at the set temperature. Sad, I know my system worked correctly at some point in time, but must now be malfunctioning. I maintain my kit very well (as I do most things I own) so its surprising to have this break. But, considering I also have a new odd behaviour with the SID not knowing its version number when I plug it in, I'm not hopeful about the integrity of my system overall.

I may still move to the more robust quality of an Apex system. The RKL seemed like a good idea and was priced for people like me who need a controller but still haven't won the lottery (I never will, I don't gamble). It just never seemed very "mature" and the limitations imposed on the RKL were just enough to make me reconsider the upgrade (and consider it as well). The Apex systems are such a big step financially though, so I keep using the RKL. Today might be the day I make the decision.......and my wife will probably kill me. I need a reliable controller though... Ugh.

n2585722

Postby n2585722 » Tue May 16, 2017 1:24 pm

The RKL is limited because it is a entry level controller. I don't know how many modules you have, but you can upgrade to the Archon head unit. This will save some on modules. The NET and RD2 modules are not compatible at this time, but neither are needed. The Archon is completely web based and also has wifi connection. If you do not have a network or wifi it generates it on wifi hot spot also. You just need a smart phone, tablet or computer with a web browser. Firefox seems to be the best on most platforms. The Archon also has 2 pH or ORP ports that are individually selectable, 4 switch input ports, 4 0-10v output ports and 2 PWM ports built into the head unit. It also has a iTemp input port so your iTemp probe can be used with the Archon. There are also 3 buss ports a USB port and wired network port. This is all on the head unit. It is almost like having a SLX, ALC and APC module all with the head unit.

You will have to use the controller function from the head unit to change hysteresis. The readyfit functions like heater, chiller and fan have it preset if I remember correctly. I do not have the RKL so I cannot check it for you. I do still have the RKE head unit and a spare PC4 and SL1 module, but that would only confirm it works on the RKE. I know it did the last time I used the RKE.
thanks,
Danny

Return to “myReef 2.0”