SID V2..I'm lost here...

Advanced aquarium controller

SID V2..I'm lost here...

Postby foresteronw » Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:13 am

I've been having a problem with my Reefkeeper Elite not recognizing two different PC4's that did not come with it so I figured I'd update all the firmware and see if that fixed the problem. So when trying to do that I seem to have hit a brick wall.

This is a brand new ReefKeeper Elite(net) and I'm doing the initial install. When I got it I opened the box and went through the included hardware list to make sure everything was there, which according to the list it is.

Now comes time for the update. After some painful searching I finally found the instructions on how to update the firmware and utilize the myReef2.0. The problem came when I tried ti figure out how to hook up my RKM SID. I read that it needs to be the correct SID, which on the side it says SID V2 so I'm assuming that is the correct one. The problem is that one end has the BUS adapter and the other end doesn't appear to be able to pug in anywhere that I'm familiar with.

Here is a picture of what I have and both ends of the plug.

If anyone could give me some advice on this I'd appreciate it. I"m pretty much dead in the water with my build until I can get this hashed out.
foresteronw

Re: SID V2..I'm lost here...

Postby Haydenp » Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:29 am

That is the correct Sid.
One end in the USB port on your computer, you are used to seeing USB with the metal shroud. The other goes into modules per the firmware upgrade instructions.
Haydenp

Postby Konadog » Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:30 am

That is the new style SID and it will support MyReef. The SID plugs directly into a USB port on your PC, it just doesn't have the metal shield over the connector (be sure to plug it in the correct way), and the other end plugs into an open BUS port of your RKE.
-Ken
Konadog

Postby foresteronw » Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:43 am

Hahahh thanks guys/girls...I was getting ready to figure out if I could make the cord it into a noose and get this over with..LMAO
foresteronw

Postby Konadog » Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:50 am

That's no way to enjoy your tank :lol:

Get back to us if you have more questions. As you can see, there are plenty of people here willing to help.
-Ken
Konadog

Postby foresteronw » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:03 am

OK got everything updated, thank you. Still didn't fix my problem though...back to the drawing board.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8801
foresteronw

Postby Konadog » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:19 am

Did you do a factory reset after everything was updated?
-Ken
Konadog

Postby foresteronw » Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:44 pm

Yes I did a factory reset. I just updated all the firmware and did another factory reset again and it has the same result.

I even tried performing a factory reset and starting the RKE with only one of the PC4's it's not recognizing and when it comes back online all it reads is "NONE"...meaning it still doesn't see it.
foresteronw

Postby DaveMorris » Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:33 pm

The "NONE" on the RKE display has nothing to do with recognizing modules. That has to do with the settings for the Home Display. To see if your RKE recognizes the PC4's, you can hit the output button on the RKE head unit and see how many PC4's show up on the left side. You can also open up myReef with everything hooked up and see if they are in the system tree on the left hand side.
Dave
My tank: www.thetechnologygroup.net/davesreef.html

DaveMorris

Postby foresteronw » Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:48 pm

The reefkeeper is only showing two PC4's.
foresteronw

Postby n2585722 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:39 pm

Can you hook just one of the PC4's "that is not showing up on the RKE" by itself powered off up to you SID and see what is says about the firmware on the PC4 in the update menu of myReef.

Danny
thanks,
Danny
n2585722

Postby foresteronw » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:57 am

OK sorry about the delay.

So yesterday I was re-reading through this and my other post and noticed something that one of the poster's said that didn't quite click. They had asked when I was plugged into the SID if it showed the PC4's....well it didn't.

Long story short the problem was my laptop, not the RKE. My laptop apparently is not throwing enough power to the USB ports (any of the three) to power anything like the RKE or update the firmware on the modules. I can plug in a USB Flashdrive and that will work but anything past that it won't work. So yesterday I went out and bought a USB hub that has it's own power source. I hooked up one of the PC4's that was not being recognized through the SID and like magic it worked....problem solved.

Thanks for quiding me through this. It was so easy to point my finger at the end result that I never even thought it could be something not related to the Reefkeeper. Next time I'll open my eyes.
foresteronw

Postby Konadog » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:12 am

Good to here you found the issue.
-Ken
Konadog

Return to ReefKeeper Elite (RKE)