myreef 2.0 does not recognize PC4

myreef 2.0 does not recognize PC4

Postby rufio173 » Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:55 pm

Hey guys,

I'm trying to completely update my RKE to the brand new spanking 2.xx firmware via Myreef 2.0. Only problem is that one of the PC4s I have just will not show up on myreef 2.0.

It was working fine before w/ the old firmware (minus the hiccup start discussed in another thread).

At this point, I'm getting a bit frustrated w/ the RKL and just wish there weren't so many bumps in the road. :(

Oh well, at least I have spare PC4s, but this means I've got essentially one non-functioning PC4 which is somewhat painful since they are expensive units.

Is there anyway I can use the PC4 that I can't upgrade to 2.04... I believe it is 2.01. I just hope I can continue using it w/ the other modules as I would like to have 12 controllable outlets.

Any help on this subject would be very helpful!
John
rufio173

Re: myreef 2.0 does not recognize PC4

Postby rufio173 » Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:12 pm

I just realized something concerning... since that PC4 is last in line and I'm trying to hook up SID to it to program.... it actually won't work because the SID can't communicate with it. Doh! Now what?
rufio173

Re: myReef 2.0 does not recognize PC4

Postby n2585722 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:46 am

You have to hook each module up the the SID without any other modules hook up to update the firmware. The firmware cannot be updated with more than one module hooked to the SID with the exception of updating the RKE flash memory only and the SID itself. Make sure the PC4 is powered off also. Hope this helps.
thanks,
Danny
n2585722

Postby rufio173 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:10 am

I think I figured out the issue. Something is wrong w/ the PC4 unit because I've been able to update every other PC4 that I have, even the one that has a non-functioning Channel 4 (won't switch on/off anymore) to 2.04.

The PC4 that I want to update just won't go (following update instructions to a Tee; no other modules connected, powered off, nothing else connected into sockets either). It cannot be recognized by my updated SID v 2.0. Given this little fact, the newly updated system does not actually recognize the PC4 module at all. So, I removed the PC4 from the system and used the rest of my system. I will be observing it today to see if there are any hiccups. I just substituted the one strip I had w/ non-functioning channel 4 (not idea, but 3 programmable sockets are better than none)

This is the layout of my current, updated system:

Head Unit - 2.06 Total System = 10 Amps
PC4 - 2.04 (3 PC4s)
SL1 - 2.03 (ph + ORP probes)

PC4 (1st in line, connected to RKL, inside of stand over E-ballast)

1. Calc Pump
2. CO2 solenoid
3. Skimmer Pump
4. **Broken**

Eheim Calc. Pump - 0.5A
Skimmer Pump - 0.5A
CO2 (Solenoid) -negligible

Total = **0.5A**... strangely doesn't add up

PC4 (By Wall, outside of tank)

1. Actinic (11AM-11PM; Auto)
2. Fan (Set Point - 76.0; Auto)
4. Chiller (Set Point -79.5; hysteresis 1.0; Auto)

Actinics- 1.0A
Fan- negligible
Chiller-1.5A

Total = 2.5A

PC4 (Last in Line)

1. Top Off (2-3:30PM; Auto)
2. Main Pump (Auto, standby-10 min)
3. Aux Pump (On)
4.MH (12PM-10PM; Auto)

Eheims (1262) - 0.5A per pump (1.0 total)
MH (500W) - 6.0 A
Top-off - negligible

Total = 6.5-7.0A

However, this may explain why I had this issue earlier: viewtopic.php?f=34&t=9352

The prior hiccup issues may be due to faulty communication b/w the defective (un-updateable) PC4 and the head unit. The interesting thing is that it all worked beside initial hiccups and occasional issues during lights out at the end of the day w/ the old firmware versions. The head unit (version 1.11 at time) still could program the switches on the PC4 (version 2.01). Now, with the update, the PC4 unit is not recognized.

So, at this point it seems that I have a useless PC4 on hand that I can't control. Is there anyway I can send it in to DA to diagnose the issue? It is out of warranty, but I would still like to know what the problem was... if not, can I still somehow use the strip manually simply as another strip that can't be controlled?

Thanks!
John
rufio173

Postby Vitalapparatuz » Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:42 am

good luck bro.Keep us posted as to the solutions offered.
Vitalapparatuz

Postby rufio173 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:11 pm

So, I observed the whole setup during critical times and seems like everything is moving smoothly again... looks like I just needed to get rid of the malfunctioning PC4 unit and no more hiccups.

So DA, will you take a look at the PC4 unit to try to diagnose the problem... seems like such a waste to just throw it in the scrap pile considering the expense of a replacement unit?

Cheers,
John
rufio173

Return to ReefKeeper Lite (RKL)