56G FOWLR (First SW Tank)

Post pictures of your tanks, creative ways you've used Digital Aquatics products and more!
kenman345
How many years have you been in the hobby?: 0

Re: 56G FOWLR (First SW Tank)

Postby kenman345 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:39 pm

Algae Farmer wrote:These guys might have something you can use.
http://www.startech.com/Search?search_t ... complete=1

Right you are. I will try and see if I can pick something up from a store, but the main thing is these thick cables for the PC4's. They're long and thick, which in tight spaces is a nuisance. I haven't put much effort into the wires besides the bus cables though, so A few wire ties and some thought should give me a better idea of what will work and what will not work. I have some space I know I can put a cable raceway if thats what I decide on.

EDIT:

Also, I appear to have run out of non-controlled ports on my surge protector. I have 3 ports left on my last available PC4, but that was kind of reserved for future accommodations for lighting and stuff where I may get something that needs to be controlled to turn off fully.

I have 1 last outlet left before I need to get my power from another source and not daisy chain too ridiculously. I have a GFCI adapter, to a 3 prong 3 outlet adapter, for two outlets. So I had 6 outlets to use, with 4 PC4's and 1 surge protector, that leaves 1 left.

It's a hard call whether I should get another PC4 or a PB4 in the future, or a surge protector. I think the Surge protector is a cheap option I can always replace, but we will have to see if I will ever need to upgrade it to something controlled.

Also,

Last night I added a 9V 1A adapter to the hub, not sure if I mentioned that, but I was using a really old adapter before this, which was big, bulky and so old I was worried about the actual quality of the output.

Algae Farmer
How many years have you been in the hobby?: 18

Postby Algae Farmer » Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:13 pm

kenman345 wrote:[Last night I added a 9V 1A adapter to the hub, not sure if I mentioned that, but I was using a really old adapter before this, which was big, bulky and so old I was worried about the actual quality of the output.

Put a meter on it.

kenman345

Postby kenman345 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:22 pm

Algae Farmer wrote:
kenman345 wrote:[Last night I added a 9V 1A adapter to the hub, not sure if I mentioned that, but I was using a really old adapter before this, which was big, bulky and so old I was worried about the actual quality of the output.

Put a meter on it.

It's 20 years old I believe. I think it was from my NES or something old like that. I didnt really care to keep it around, it's just in a pile of spare cables i may need in a pinch.

kenman345

Postby kenman345 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:48 am

Okay, so I am close to setting up my tank to only use the feeder when the button I installed is "Open" I want it that way for the purposes of it defaulting to use the feeder even if the connection gets destroyed and the button doesnt actually communicate to the SW5 anymore. It's a bit safer this way.

I was thinking now that I am going to be using alarms, maybe I would want the RD-1 module. This module, like the head unit, gives off a lot of light. I have the tank in my bedroom so it's a very hard sell on this module for me. I have decided I would only consider it if I were to be able to find some sort of box/covered container that I can mount to my tank and essentially make a control panel that I can block the light from when not in use. It would need to have clean lines to blend into the overall look of the tank.

If I had this element though, I would be able to put the RD-1 inside it. I would also be able to install the button switch inside this panel as well, maybe even find something to be an indicator light for when this button is switched on. This would make it much easier to get an idea of my settings for the feeder at a quick glance.

Lastly, I would be able to use this panel type area to situate a flip switch that would be 1 of a 2 part alarm to email notify me when someone opens my stand door. This would basically give me a security alarm system, which is something I've wanted to do for a while now.

If anyone can help me with this idea, please let me know. I have been unable to find anything in the right size for this space. It needs to have a depth of no more than 1" as that is the amount of a lip the counter on the stand has that holds my tank. It needs to be black and not translucent at all. Thanks in advance if anyone can help me.

n2585722
How many years have you been in the hobby?: 30

Postby n2585722 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:05 am

I think the RD1 has brightness controls for both day and night mode for the display. So does the RKE.
thanks,
Danny

kenman345

Postby kenman345 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:08 am

n2585722 wrote:I think the RD1 has brightness controls for both day and night mode for the display. So does the RKE.

Is that only on the unit itself? it's not anywhere on the MyReef software. I rather hate using the head unit itself to program anything so I have not roamed the menu system. I know it is supposed to get lower by default during night mode, but this is the first i heard that it is customizable.

Algae Farmer

Postby Algae Farmer » Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:15 pm

On the RKE HU press,
Menu>System>Display.
Set your Display preferances there.
Be sure to "Save" your settings before exiting the page.

kenman345

Postby kenman345 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:58 pm

Algae Farmer wrote:On the RKE HU press,
Menu>System>Display.
Set your Display preferances there.
Be sure to "Save" your settings before exiting the page.

Thanks,

I now have 11 modules, 4 PC4's, 1 SL1, 1 NET, 1 SW5, 1 RD1, 1 APC, and 1 DCI. I am thinking about at least 1 more SW5 module soon, but am delaying that purchase until I have gone through all my modules and created a plan for all those switch ports I will have available to me with that. I will likely be using the Relay on both SW5's as virtual channels to allow me to work around only having 1 alarm per channel to control special programming.

It was rather convenient this weekend to have the RD-1 installed and on my tank stand so I was able to initiate a standby for my water change. I would really like to set up a switch in the future that actually allows me to take longer than that 59 minutes for a water change, just in case i am worried.

I got a Tunze 6055 circulation pump for now that will act as my backup pump and also give me some much needed added circulation. My clownfish are happier than ever with the water movement. It has also helped remove virtually all deadspots. I tested out running only the Tunze pump after my water change and it definitely moves all the water volume nicely through my tank, i plan to get the 6040 when it comes out for my aeration in times of emergency. Next step after that is a nice UPS unit that will work for my heater for a few hours and also a PC4 and my HUB module. the PC4 will be controlling the heater, so hopefully that will extend the life of the UPS. I also plan to re-order some components so anything connected directly to the PC4 and hub are essentials for power. I do not want things too far away and between many modules that are needed (like the SL1 being two PC4's away from the head unit and any other power source in an emergency.

Anyone else with recommendations?

I am working on a control panel right now. I have 5 red momentary buttons, 5 green momentary buttons, and 5 mini-rocker switches. I also have 50 slide switches. I know i dont need all these switches, but figured it was all about $20 in total anyways, and I always have a project or two to work on, so might as well have them available. I am still working out what enclosure I will be able to use for this control panel, but I have a few ideas. I think i'll end up with about 4-6 switches right below my RD-1 module that are all meant to control special functionality. I plan to have a feeding button, a security switch for my tank stand, 1-2 switches to help me control what items are on for maintenance or acclimation purposes, and I am sure to find 1-2 more things I want to be able to do. I am hoping at the end of this little project I will still have some room though on my SW5(s) for 1 more switch, which will be to a waterbug system.

Due to the vastness of the project, I may end up waiting to get more modules till after MACNA, but probably will end up wanting the SW5 anyways, so it may just be the last item I get before MACNA rolls around.

Algae Farmer

Postby Algae Farmer » Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:50 pm

Glad I could help. How about some pics of the module layout.

kenman345

Postby kenman345 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:18 pm

Algae Farmer wrote:Glad I could help. How about some pics of the module layout.

I try and try and make small progress, but it's hard to make a wall of 4 PC4's look neat and orderly when they are spaced only 1.5" apart horizontally. It's also quite cramped in the stand, so no pictures for now. I would happily draw out a diagram for you of everything. I am still figuring out where the new SW5 will be placed.

kenman345

Postby kenman345 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:03 am

Check out what I am working on to go with my incoming SW5 module. I might need more switch connections in the future to use all these guys, but I'm gonna do some outlining in white, once i find the proper marker or paint to do so, and leave the empty ones unlabelled before I mount it. I need to pick up some small gauge wire to wire this thing up this weekend.

kenman345

Postby kenman345 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:07 am

Okay, so I wired things up with some 30 AWG wire. Need to test all the wires have a clean connection, but they all seem fine right now.

14 Wires in total

Twisted each pair for easy reference when wiring everything up in the near future

Test fitting for the panel box. Everything seems perfect.

Next stage is simple, WAIT!!!!

Yes, my next step is to wait. I have a new SW5 coming in the mail today with the rest of the adapter cables I should need for this project. Also, tomorrow I should receive 10 feet of 1/8" cable sleeve that I will use to cover up the blue wires in one easy to manage cable-like form. I have never used cable sleeve before, but have been given some advice from a friend that uses it all the time.

At this point in time, I am very excited about this project. Each pairing has about 2'3" to 2'8", down from it's original ~3' length that I cut each wire at originally. I havent figured out if I will wire these switches directly to the adapter wire, or use 2 switch boards with 8 connections each (and have a spare 2 connections). I wanted to use a waterproof connector, but the ones I have are meant for a much thicker wire. I do not think I really want to add a huge amount of heat shrink to each wire to get them to the 14-16 AWG size the connectors I have are meant for.

DaveMorris
How many years have you been in the hobby?: 12

Postby DaveMorris » Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:39 am

I guess I missed what the switches are for. What is it that you are doing with this project? Also, one thing that I do a lot is I will take apart CAT 6e cable and use the twisted pairs. It is easier and neater to use those than twisting my own. I just split open the sheathing and then pull the wires out. There are 4 sets of twisted pair wires in a CAT 6 cable, already color coded and everything. And CAT 5/6 cable is very inexpensive to buy.
Dave
My tank: http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/showthread.php?103096-My-300g-to-120g-Upgrade

kenman345

Postby kenman345 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:51 am

DaveMorris wrote:I guess I missed what the switches are for. What is it that you are doing with this project? Also, one thing that I do a lot is I will take apart CAT 6e cable and use the twisted pairs. It is easier and neater to use those than twisting my own. I just split open the sheathing and then pull the wires out. There are 4 sets of twisted pair wires in a CAT 6 cable, already color coded and everything. And CAT 5/6 cable is very inexpensive to buy.

Eh....$6 at radioshack for 50M of 30 AWG wire versus needing a 6' cable of CAT to get similar results? Wasn't worth it to me, but I did have that idea as well since i do have loose CAT wire. I just figured its a shame to use that if I am going to have to take it out of the sheathing anyways to get it how I wanted. I rather try to hide blue in the cable sleeve than a multitude of colors. Also, I felt the wires inside the CAT cables might be a little thicker than I wanted for this project. 30 AWG is really tiny but I do not know if I could have used anything much bigger than that due to the tight spacing I needed to route wires inside that box before it comes out the hole.

Anyways, the switches are meant to be a better standby or other activities for me. Say, I wanted to feed the fish by hand, I can use a switch to ensure that the automatic feeder I use will not get used. this means I do not need to unplug it unless I need to move the feeder away from the tank during a water change. This also ensures that the items I normally have turn off during feeding times, stay on since they dont need to be off anymore.

Another use case is for different components I need off during water changes. I can trigger 2 different alarms, one that normally my feeder triggers, and another for the rest of my items, so that this way i have more than just 1 hour to do a water change, or perhaps I want to have that capability for acclimating new inhabitants.

I do not have use right now for every one of these switches, but these were the smallest switches I could find that would work for me, so I decided to wire up as many as I could so I can make the most effective use of the limited space and not worry about not being able to expand it's usage later. If I am going to do something once, I should do it right.

BTW, what would you recommend for waterproofing the hole I made for the wires? probably worthless en devour, but can't hurt to try and seal it a little bit.

DaveMorris
How many years have you been in the hobby?: 12

Postby DaveMorris » Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:18 pm

I use nylon cable glands for waterproofing holes for cables.

http://www.cabletiesandmore.com/america ... fgodwZUAKA
Dave
My tank: http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/showthread.php?103096-My-300g-to-120g-Upgrade

Return to “Customer's Systems”