Sump Pump Dual Emergency Shutoff Diagram using One Connector

Post pictures of your tanks, creative ways you've used Digital Aquatics products and more!
ChasersRush
How many years have you been in the hobby?: 0

Sump Pump Dual Emergency Shutoff Diagram using One Connector

Postby ChasersRush » Thu May 31, 2012 5:30 am

How about this? Comments appreciated.

ChasersRush

Re: Sump Pump Dual Emergency Shutoff Diagram using One Conne

Postby ChasersRush » Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:00 pm

The above diagram is wrong, please disregard, and if it's in your powers to remove the post please do so, by all means.

Konadog
How many years have you been in the hobby?: 20

Postby Konadog » Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:27 pm

I deleted the diagram, but left the thread so you can still update it if you want.
-Ken

ChasersRush

Postby ChasersRush » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:04 pm

Thanks konadog,

Here is the new diagram showing the correct connections (hopefully) for a ATO/WC Redundant Dual Emergency Shutoff, using one connector, enjoy.

ATO-WC_Redundant_Dual_Emergency_Shutoff_1.jpeg

Online tools used (Not Affiliated):
Diagram: http://www.gliffy.com
Watermark: http://picmarkr.com
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Harry_Y
How many years have you been in the hobby?: 25

Postby Harry_Y » Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:04 pm

What are you trying to accomplish?
--... ...--

striker1977

Postby striker1977 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:35 pm

Harry_Y wrote:What are you trying to accomplish?

I agree, this diagram makes no sense. What are you trying to do with it???

Jaculus

Postby Jaculus » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:34 am

This caught my interest since I was thinking of doing something similar. SO my thoughts here are just a guess.

First it looks like he is using two switches side by side electrically wired together in parallel so if one gets a snail in it or other the other will cover that. So the switches BOTH have to be in the same state (open/close) to make it work. That makes some sense for the small cost of another switch.

Next I THINK he is using a low level water switches to automate a water change. I THINK the top level switches are just set to run the ATO so the water stays at that level?

The lower switches are probably to initiate a more high power pump from his salt water reserve to replenish his tank.

Actually I thought of doing this myself after hearing someone in my local reef group mention how he did his.

My thought was a daily timer to automate a pump to pump x amount of water out each day or a couple times a day. That amount would depend on your needs and your tank sizes. In my case I was thinking of a timer to do 5 gal every other day. I have a 75 gal reef tank and a 180 FOWLR with a 125 gal sump/refu so that much water change is not too much lol. Ok back to the timer/pumps/etc If I set a timer event every other day to pump water out until the bottom switches are activated then that sets off the pump turning off AND another pump to pump water from the salt water reserve back into the sump until the top siwtches are activated again at the desired level.

It's obviously more complicated than that but I THINK his drawing is showing how he would mount those in parallel to give a little more assurance the switches would not be stuck and flood or drain his tanks.

Return to “Customer's Systems”